Friday, January 13, 2012

The proof is in the (vegan) pudding.

By now I am sure some of you are wondering, "Yeah, that's great...but does it WORK???"

Just thought I would pop in here quickly before a busy weekend of work and travel to give an update.

Today is Day 48. 

My last doctor visit was November 17.  At that visit I was my heaviest, and complained about my drugs and my 'low-residue' prescribed diet by my doctor, and how I felt they were contributing to my feeling sick, tired, and having little energy all the time as well as my difficulties losing weight.   He suggested Weight Watchers but seemed relatively unconcerned about my complaints.  After all, I was in remission right?

I began juicing November 26 with an eye to 60 days.  My body rebelled after less than two weeks, so I decided to go vegan from that point on.

During that time:

*I have eliminated the need for expensive and possibly dangerous medications.
*I have gone from having a hard time walking a few miles to being able to work out on an elliptical for an hour and then do the rest of my day.
*I have been able to get a part-time job, mainly because I feel well enough to work.  I could do more.
*I have lost 18.5 pounds.

All of that without anything I would call sacrifice.  I eat well, I enjoy my food, I cook more at home, and I have the energy and desire to continue because I feel so incredibly good.  I can eat until I am full and know I am not backsliding.  I won't gain weight if I stick to my eating plan - that's not just rhetoric, either.  I can't gain weight if I stick to my plan because of simple maths - I can't eat that much food.  What I eat is so nutrition-dense and low in calories and fat that it is virtually impossible to overeat.

I still have a long way to go.  I was overweight before I got sick, because I didn't take care of myself properly, not at all.  But with the results I have achieved in such a short time, I know I can reach the goals I set for myself, and continue to be in good health while improving fitness and body composition.


So yeah, I'd say it works.






No comments:

Post a Comment