Saturday, January 7, 2012

We're back - and still vegan!

I had a fabulous holiday season with my beautiful daughter and wonderful family, and managed to stay on my diet (though I did have a cookie or two) and I still feel really good.  I'm going to post a few new recipes I've tried over the hols that were just delicious.


Quick Banana Breakfast To Go

Serves: 2
Preparation Time: 8 minutes

Ingredients:

2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
2 bananas, sliced
1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/3 cup pomegranate juice
1-2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon raw sunflower seeds
2 tablespoons dried currants

Instructions:
Combine all ingredients in a small microwave-proof bowl. Heat in the microwave for 3 minutes.

NOTE: For on the go, combine all ingredients in a resealable container and eat later, either hot or cold.

I halved this recipe and still could not finish it all.  Note that mostly, it's fruit, with a little grain and protein thrown in to keep you going.  


DIJON DATE DRESSING/DIP

1 cup water
2/3 cup raw cashews
4 T. Balsamic vinegar
2 T.  Mrs. Dash (table blend)
2 T. Dijon Mustard
6 pitted dates
1 clove garlic, minced

Blend everthing til creamy.


This dressing is by far one of the best salad dressings I have ever had.  My husband found it spicy so I might cut down on the Mrs. Dash in the future.  Also, you could play around with how much water you add to make it more of a 'dip' consistency for fresh veggies.



~~~~~~

A new product I found in the supermarket this week that I love:  Wholly Guacamole 100 calorie packs.   this gives you roughly two huge teaspoons of guac in an easy to open package.  I smeared it on some of my bean enchiladas and even on a veggie sub.  It was delicious and convenient, and I will probably pack some in my lunch for work.

A friend of mine over at http://www.nutmegsseven.co.uk/ inquired about food resolutions for the upcoming year.  Although ours are very different, I enjoyed reading about the different ways people think about, and enjoy, food.  Of course, for me, I hope to expand my vegan cooking repertoire and experiment with foods I am unaccustomed to, to get to the gym as often as possible, and to push myself as I restart my career after several years of being a mommy and recuperating from chronic illness.

What are yours?






No comments:

Post a Comment