Saturday, December 17, 2011

Day 22 - Best Kitchen Tools and My First Party.

Today I am going to sing the praises of one of my favorite new kitchen tools, the Progressive International GPC-4000 Fruit and Vegetable Chopper.  This item lets you dice, slice, and chop fruits, veggies, and nuts super fast and easy.  At $29, it's not an investment either.  I just diced 6 cups of tomatoes in about five minutes.  Considering the sheer volume of produce I go through in a week, this will be a huge time saver, especially I as begin my new job (which is afternoons and evenings, mainly.)  I love this thing - Merry Christmas to me!

Tonight we are going to a spur-of-the-moment Christmas party, where appetizers will be served.  I am bringing a bruschetta with a balsamic vinegar reduction drizzle to the party, guaranteeing there will be something vegan there to eat (and hopefully something everyone will enjoy!)


Chopped tomatoes
Minced clove garlic (I did about 2 small)
Fresh basil leaves (to taste - I adore fresh basil)
A little salt

Chop all that up and set it into a fine-meshed strainer to drain over the sink.  Do NOT refrigerate the tomatoes - they will lose their tomato-ey flavor! Then reduce one cup balsamic vinegar down to about a 1/4 cup (or to taste.)  It will become thick and syrupy.  Set aside.

Toast bread (we chose a french baguette) and drizzle with a really good organic extra-virgin olive oil, if desired.  Assemble the bruschetta just before serving, drizzling with the reduction.  Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment