Sunday, December 11, 2011

Day 15/16

My husband and I have been enjoying the bean enchiladas like mad.  I made a fresh pot of the beans yesterday and we scarfed most of them down for lunch before doing our Christmas decorations and tree.  Our house is so festive!

Today I made Blue Apple-Nut Oatmeal, which really is blue!

1 2/3 cup water
1/4 cup old-fashioned oats
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 T. currants

Simmer the above until creamy, then add:
1 banana, sliced
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen, I used fresh)

Heat that for about five minutes, then add:
1 apple, peeled, cored and diced
2 T. chopped walnuts.

This was a delicious dish.  The fruit made every bite sweet!


The other dish I am trying today is Crock-Pot Chili!  This one is easy and packed with veggies.

1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 organic bell pepper, chopped (I had red so I used that)
1 organic zucchini, chopped
8oz mushrooms, sliced  (Since I ran out, I used canned)
1 cup frozen corn
1 28oz can organic fire-roasted tomatoes (substituted for diced)
2 T chili powder
2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 cup water

Throw it all in the slow-cooker and cook on low for 7 hours.  If you cave and must eat it sooner, don't worry!  There's no undercooked meat to fret about, so dig in whenever the urge strikes!

All recipes from Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Furman

No comments:

Post a Comment